Tuesday, May 5, 2015

(Re)-Introducing the Historic Sites Researcher

Hi everyone it is Terra Barrett and I'm back again from last summer. I just completed my first year of MUN's MA Folklore program. This included a three week field school in Witless Bay, courses on folklore theory, genres, archiving, and public folklore. This semester my public folklore class was involved with the Hoist Your Sails and Run project which produced the Looking Back: Games We Played Booklet. So it has been a productive but incredibly fun year.

Last summer I worked as a Heritage Intern focusing mainly on an oral history project in Petty Harbour-Maddox Cove. I am just putting the final pieces together to complete a booklet on this project, however, my main work this summer will be as an Historic Sites Researcher.

As an Historic Sites Researcher I will have the opportunity to complete interviews will people associated with historic sites in order to find out more information about the architectural history as well as the associated narratives of these historic sites. In addition to interviews I will complete background research, photography, metadata, write several articles, and lend a hand wherever necessary. (I could end up rubbing graves again this year - who knows!) I will also be updating the blog throughout the summer to keep you up to date with what is going on with the Heritage Foundation. My email is the same as last summer terra@heritagefoundation.ca so if you want to get in touch shoot me an email!

-Terra

No comments: